Friday, December 02, 2011

I Touched a Dead Guy

After a nice visit to Lolo to celebrate Thanksgiving and my birthday, Sarah and I arrived home after an uneventful drive. A short time later Sarah had to run some errands (picking me up an awesome ice cream cake!) so I decided to go on a little drive.

It's a very familiar road for me and I'm pretty used to who uses the area and who lives where. I was coming down the road when I looked up the hill to see a hunter sitting against a tree. It was a peculiar spot to set up as it was about 20 yards from the road...and he was looking up the hill. He was pretty good at staying still because I didn't see him even twitch! I thought something looked odd about him, but continued on my drive. Upon circling back (after about an hour) I was making my way back up the same hill. The guy's truck was still parked down the road a ways and when I got up to him, he was still there and in the exact same position! NOW my adrenaline started kicking in and I turned the truck around so I could investigate. I parked below him and rolled the window down. A quick, "HEY!" didn't alarm him so I got out to see what was going on. As I CREEPED up the hill, certain that I was walking into a suicide, this fella remained motionless. I got up to him and sloooowwwly touched his shoulder. WTF!?

Under the layers of camo and hunters orange, he was all straw! That's when I finally looked him over and noticed an empty beer bottle in his "hand" and he was wearing ski goggles. I glanced up past him and saw a house about 40 yards away, with their big picture window staring straight at this guy. The bastards had put up a dummy to keep people from hunting on their land? I still want to talk to them, but within the next two days they had taken him down. I wonder if they saw me creeping up there and then my disgusted look as I stared at their house.

Upon getting home, Sarah had been doing a load of laundry which caused the sink to back up, then the outlet for the washer to overflow. While we were cleaning up the water and soap, there was a knock on the door. Sarah answered it and was out there for quite a while, so I peeked out the window. There was a kid in his 20s talking to Sarah and another guy about 15 feet away with his hood pulled over his head. Now, there have been blatant break-ins around Coeur d'Alene lately. Folks will knock on your door and if you don't answer, they'll kick in your door and grab what they can. If you ARE home, they'll make up some story about selling firewood or something. I know, can't trust anyone anymore right?

Well, I joined Sarah by the door and found out this guy was offering to rake our leaves for $15. His story was that they sold everything they had, were homeless, and trying to get to South Dakota. We told him no and watched them both walk across the street to our neighbor's place...again, the second kid hanging back about 15 feet. Suspicious, I circled around the house to get the license plate...and while I was doing that, noticed the girl in the passenger seat giving me a weird look. I walked up to her and told her that they were likely going to get turned in because of the scam going around; she thanked me and waited for the two fellas with a young kid and two dogs in the back of the jeep.

When they got back in the car, Sarah watched them leave. She said, "They're turning right, nope...going straight...nope...now they're going left!" Suspicious much?

Anywho, it turns out that I called the cops just to be on the safe side. With my report given, I went next door to see what story they had given the neighbor and to tell them that I had called them in. The story they got was that they were homeless and trying to get to North Dakota, and they offered to rake her leaves for $10.

*sigh*

Quite a place anymore. And reading back through this, the stories are more entertaining when told out loud....easier to build up a little suspense...but, I wanted to record them somehow.

But, everything has worked out fine and the roto-rooter guy came on Monday and was able to clean our clog. While he was doing that, a firetruck, ambulance, and cop responded to our adjacent neighbor's house. I still don't know what was going on over there.

Busy around here.

1 Comments:

Blogger cruiser said...

Well, it sure got me to read---and I have touched dead guys in the woods. Also, $15 dollars to rake leaves? Last I looked, no skill labor was minimum wage. These people are not only suspicious, they're dumb-asses.

8:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home