Thursday, August 11, 2011

It Keeps Getting Better

Sarah got home at about 7:00 on Monday night. We had just started to catch each other up on the day when we started hearing a lot of sirens. And they were CLOSE. Pretty quick Sarah said, "They're parked outside!" I asked her to stick her head out and see what was going on...turns out the shed of the newly-vacated house beside us was on fire!

I started spraying the side of OUR shed (since it was so close) while the firefighters continued to hose down the burning building. We opened up our shed to get the ladder out, when we noticed it was FULL of drifting smoke! Well, the side of our shed that was closest to the neighbors is where we were storing a LOT of stuff for the wedding...as well as all our valuable camping gear! Sarah hauled stuff out of the shed while I continued spraying down the outside and generally just get in the firefighters way. And of course, I put the ladder right on the bald-faced hornets nest that I was going to get rid of on Tuesday. Got one dandy sting and I'm not sure about others...kinda had a lot of adrenaline going.

So when it was all winding down, this fella comes walking into our garage and says, "Hi Tom." Uhmmm, hi random guy. Turns out it was Buddy, Sarah's uncle and Ryan, her cousin! He recognized me from photos...and when they heard all the sirens, they knew it was close to the house and decided to mosey up. Sarah and them went to dinner...while I sat down and attempted to finish the dinner I had sitting there and to calm the hell down!


We're thinking firecrackers started the old X-mas tree and 2-foot tall grass on fire. The flames started out there, but quickly started burning the INSIDE of the roof.


This is how close our sheds are.

At least I'M firesmart


But we DID inherit their awesome grapes and tomato plants!

Okay, that gets me to yesterday...uhm...the 10th. So I'm all over town running errands when I get a call from our minister. He was up checking his dock and said the wind came up making our rope "sing" from tension. This rapidly led me up to his shop to grab more rope and put another line on. Things were going smoothly until I got an automated call telling me my debit card had been locked! It said, "Please press 1 to unlock your account." Funny...I just used my debit card to get propane.. Then it said, "Please enter your 16-digit account number." Hmmm, wait a minute! I know this game!

So there I was, sitting in my hot truck calling the bank and asking about my accounts. They checked them all out and said it all looked good except for something trying to charge my Visa account but was denied because of an expiration date! Shoot. I got phished and found out about an attempted hack! After the wedding I'm changing out all my accounts. Just another thing to think about!

But overall, people are starting to flow into town and the phone lines are getting busy. I think the rehearsal today will help...help me at least get a feel for how this is all going to happen. AND, we're getting the tuxes fitted and BROUGHT HOME today. THAT will make me feel better!

I just hope this developing zit on my darn face doesn't decide to make an appearance! SONUVA!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home