Monday, July 01, 2013

My truck DIDN'T get totalled. Bummer.

Ahh, another attention-grabbing title!

I got cornered the other day with the simple question, "Are you guys in town this weekend?"  Before I could even realize what I was getting myself into, I had said yes.  Then came the nervous smile followed by the inevitable, "Can you help me move Saturday morning?"  Shoot!  I'd already helped this co-worker move once this year and now she was moving again.  *sigh*  Yeah, I can help.

Well, the last time I borrowed Butch's flatbed ATV trailer (that I wish I could find a decent photo of...see below though.) and we were able to move most everything in one trip.  SO, Friday night I went up and collected the trailer again and headed home.  It being a nice, hot Friday meant that I couldn't park in front of our house...so like always, there was plenty of room ONE BLOCK north.  I parked with the rear-end of the trailer a little beyond the sidewalk (so as not to get in anyone's way) and walked the whole block home!  Seriously, I have watched people circle the block, turn around, and jockey their rigs to get the absolute closest parking spot available.  It's ridiculous.

It was going to be a hot day, so we were starting early-ish...0900.  At 0850 I was walking, the whole block, to my truck when my neighbor came out and said, "Hey Tom.  Is that your truck in front of my house?"  Why yes, yes it is.  (I've only lived here 4 years, figured he would've recognized it.)  "Well, it got hit last night.  That's what all the neighbors are talking about right now." 

Oh.  No kidding?  Huh.

I asked, "Did they hit the truck or the trailer?"  He replied, "she hit the rear-end of the trailer and buried her Saturn up to the windshield.  There were three cop cars here and everything."  Shoot, all I could think of was, "is she okay?"  "She was fine enough to back out and keep going down the street, she finally piled it up 13 blocks from here....drunk as a skunk."

Now, this isn't your typical ATV trailer.  This is a pure north-Idaho model made out of solid steel, semi-tires, and thick timbers.  It has a steel ramp that is held up with a chain and a carabiner.  THAT'S why I asked if she was okay...

Not the best photo of the trailer, but you can kinda see that this thing is STOUT.  Good thing I didn't put the ramp down that night!!  Might have stopped her though...

Well, we got over there and it looked like her little Saturn blew up.  There were pieces of things all over the place...even beyond my truck!  I picked up the Saturn logo thing, a piece of a mirror, a radiator cap, and a lug from her tire!  (I honestly don't know how she managed to break a lug off her tire.)  Well, the only thing that was wrong with the trailer was the right rear wire for the light was ripped off, probably from her backing out, and that was it.  The truck was fine, drives fine, but I'm gonna take it in to get the frame and other stuff checked out.

Like anyone would, I kinda shrugged and made my way up to the move site.  After removing doors and navigating a lot of narrow stairs, we had it all loaded and down at the new place.  One hour and forty-five minutes total!

Now, couple things with this one.  If I hadn't agreed to help, I wouldn't have had the trailer, which means I wouldn't have parked up there and gotten hit.  If I would have circled the block like all the people I hate watching do that, I could have parked the truck and trailer closer to the house and likely not have gotten hit.  However, if I HAD parked up there to avoid parallel parking, and hadn't agreed to help move, then I probably would've had a new truck!  That would have helped out a lot, especially with her insurance covering it...I'm pretty sure they wouldn't want to even try and fix my truck at this point if it was major. 

But when I was standing out there with my neighbor, he said that him and his wife were watching all this happen at 0230 and commented, "Shoot, wish we would have had the Subaru out there.  We've gotten more new cars that way than you can believe."  Go figure.

Yep, living downtown is fun.  Great to be in the middle of all the action. 

1 Comments:

Blogger Auntie Mae said...

Oh geez. What is with people? That's a crappy hangover I am sure...

9:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home