Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Finished European Mount

Well, after a whirlwind of a Christmas...I remembered that I said I was going to post photos of my finished whitetail european mount.

Oddly enough, now the "whitewash" of Elmer's glue looks a little shiny...but I don't think it detracts anything. For now, part of what I like about this set up is the imperfections. Gives a good show at a first try and I'm curious to try it again and see how it turns out! Alas, that may be a couple more years down the road the way things are going...

But, not too shabby...not too shabby.


Front view close


Side view close


Good spot on the wall!


Roughly 30 days from the hunt to this!

This deer must really mean something to me. I still like looking at the mount (or even photos of it) and thinking back to that fateful day. And I kinda had an idea for a little side-job. When trying to decide on what to mount this skull on, I was kinda thinking about using barn wood. Couldn't find any of that I liked, so then I thought perhaps the crook in a branch of Ponderosa pine (as I shot the deer in a shelterwood unit of Ponderosa.) Then I thought about a round of pine...which led me to think I should try ripping a board out of pine with the bark still attached on the sides... etc...

The point is, you can't find that kind of thing pre-made anywhere. All I could find were polished plaques...so, I thought quietly to myself, there may be a market for it! Just think, different species, parts of trees, and cuts that you could choose from and match to where you harvested your critter. All mounting hardware (and instructions) included! How about THAT?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome mount!
If you're going to start selling skull-mounting kits that represent where you got the deer at, I'm going to need one that comes in "truck bumper".
Z

5:40 PM  
Anonymous Dad said...

Think about drilling a half inch hole about 1/8 of an inch deep just below the nose. Cut the bottom of the '06 shell you killed it with off at the extraction groove and epoxy it in that hole. The hole, of course would vary by caliber (or family of cartridges - ie. .308, 30-06, 7mm Mauser, etc would all have the same size head, etc.)

9:08 AM  
Blogger geotracker12 said...

Good idea Dad! The only problem is I'll likely have to wait until the snow melts. I meant to grab the shell when I was coming back down the hill (where I took more photos) but forgot! I could use a different shell...but where's the authenticity in that?

And Z, I'll have your customized Toyota bumper set up soon. Want some hair on it to keep with this "realism" thing? Or perhaps a milemarker engraved? HA!

10:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home